Thursday, April 24, 2008

For Easter, women have to cook...

I'm on a short trip to Bucharest, Romania. It's almost Orthodox Easter here, so most of the women have been given a day off tomorrow. The reason? Quite simple: it's Easter! So what? Well, but of course, the women need to cook!

When I've heard this, I got instantly upset. I would be really angry to get a day off so that I can take care of the Easter meals... I find this offensive on so many levels. But I can also understand why women would jump at this opportunity and never launch any complaint: hey, it's a free, paid day! Who wouldn't take it? So what if it means being publicly labeled as the household cook? After all, this is nothing compared to 24 hours of being at home... cooking, washing, cleaning...

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites